Skip to content

Embassy building

The Danish embassy is located in the Old Town of Riga, next to Riga Castle and with a view to the Daugava River.

The embassy building was originally built in 1901 to accommodate the British Seamen’s Institute and Club, and was intentionally placed right next to the Anglican Church. The building was designed by the local architect, Wilhelm Bockslaff (b. 1858), and funded by the Church of Great Britain and Foundation for the Needy. Bockslaff, famous for his neo-gothic and eclectic style, designed the building in an Art Nouveau style with a touch of medieval spirit, similar to the neighbouring church.

During the end of the Soviet rule, it housed a filial of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the USSR in Latvia. Following Latvia’s regained independence and the re-establishment of diplomatic relations, the building became the office of the Latvian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Jānis Jurkāns, before being offered to Denmark in 1992.

''''